Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Here's what I'm doing

Every year for the past few years I've been running the 5k for the 4th of July. I'll be doing it again this year, but I need to work on my endurance a little. I'm back on nightshift so even on my days off I have to stay awake late. I'm planning on using the kinect to help me exercise at night. I'm also training myself for the 5k this year. I've been running 3-4 times a week since the end of April. Though, I had to take a break for about two weeks when I transitioned to night shift. That was kind of a hectic time with the schedule change, wife's birthday, and mothers day. But I've been back on it last week and this week.

Today I ran 3 miles exact. Though I think my GPS on my phone got a little wacky at some point. That should have been closer to the 3.14 miles for a 5k. But oh well.

Here's my stats for today's run.

Total time: 37:53 minutes
Average min/mile: 12:38
Total distance: 3.0 miles

So at my work, I know a lot of extremely intelligent people. They are probably the smartest people I know. The one thing they always tell me in our process is that we are only as good as our measurement. This is entirely true. If you set a goal you need to have a measurement down to see if you're traveling closer to or further away from that goal. This applies to exercise as well. So, I'm going to keep track of a run journal with my time, speed, distance.

So for contrast here's my stats from last week.

Total time: 32:42
Average min/mile: 13:44
Total distance: 2.38 miles

I'm not too concerned about distance, as I'm always running a minimum of two miles. I'm also not too concerned about my total time since that will fluctuate with distance. I'm looking at average min/mile. Today's run went really well. I felt great, respitory rate was constant and my rate of speed was much better my second half of the run. My goal is to be under a 10 minute mile by July 4th. Last year I had a competition with my old boss and I won. This year I plan to do the same, but I also want to beat my last year average min/mile which was 11:30. So time for me to get crackin'!

3 comments:

  1. Nice. I never see me doing a 5k, unless it is to walk. I know I could walk them but to run I would have to get an inhaler. Not something I want to do. Silly me, but my heart rate really goes up with them so the side effects are enough for me to say no. I track stuff at medhelp.org, it is a pretty interesting site. Steph might like it for tracking pregnancy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we women actually also get better overall body changing results from walking- so stick with the walking without apology :) You and I have goals when it comes to the endurance of walking with leslie- my next one is to be able to use the weights for a minute or two or finally the whole thing with even the bending down parts ( kickbacks kill me now.. lol )
    Jordan's message is excellent though and I am going to have to write down the progress with moving up my weights.. if I can remember which ones I do! lol
    I might have to use saturday to put it on pause then measure that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each tape is different with which weights we use too.

    ReplyDelete