Thursday, May 24, 2012

Water

This post is not really for Noelie or Tigersue.  They are already professed water lovers.  But it's always nice to have a reminder. 

This may sound a little dumb, but I HATE Gatorade advertising.  They advertise their drink like it's this water killer, and if you drink it you'll perform better than just plain water.  I'm going to call bull crap on that one.  Water is the stuff life came from!  NASA is constantly searching the stars for... you guessed it... WATER!  Why?  Because where there is water, there is life.  They are NOT looking for Gatorade in space.

I'm back on nightshift.  I worked nightshift a little over 2 years ago.  I tried all kinds of caffeinated drinks to keep me awake.  Soda, 5 hour energy, energy drinks, my brother even gave me Earl Grey Tea (kudos if you get the Star Trek reference).  The only thing I didn't try was coffee, but that stuff tastes like burnt water.  I'd rather fall asleep flat on my face. But NONE of it worked.  It only made me REALLY sleepy at about 2AM no matter what I did.  Funny thing is.... I was trying what I thought were different things and expecting results, when they were all the same thing and I was getting the same results!  Caffeine and sugar are all of those drinks' primary ingredient.

I'm not sure why or how I came to this conclusion, but I decided I was going to stop drinking it all.  I just stuck to water that night.  The most amazing thing happened... I had more energy then I've ever had on nightshift!  And it was that way ever since. 

Since then, I've read a few articles on water vs. caffeinated drinks such as coffee.  It's actually been proven that drinking water will give you more energy throughout the day then if you drank coffee.  This isn't because coffee gives you a crash, water is literally giving you higher sustained energy.  In fact, they say that most of the time the reason people get sleepy at around 3PM is because they are dehydrated!  Being well hydrated has also a key to fighting appetite.  They found that a well hydrated person has an easier time keeping a low appetite.  That in fact, many times when we feel hungry it is in fact that we are thirsty.  Thirst is not just a dry throat!

I used to drink a lot of soda.  I LOVE the cool refreshing taste of Coca Cola.  So going cold turkey and just drinking water is hard at first.  Not because I had caffeine withdrawls.  I don't think I've ever felt what that's like.  But because water tastes so plain and I can't drink a lot of it before I get sick of it.  The key here, though, is to continue to only drink water for a while.  A few days later, you'll notice your body craving it.  Your body is now receiving the water it needs and has found uses for it.  It will actually taste so much sweeter and refreshing.  Stay away from those flavor packets.  It's just more sugar.

5 comments:

  1. Jordan, you keep posting such good stuff! I have loved water for a long time.
    Some ways to help the flavor for those that just can't get the hang of it is adding lemon or lime, adding Ice! or mint leaves. Even for those of us that are water lovers those are all treats in our cup of refreshment

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you so much. Working all the night shifts I did, I survived on water. I know it helped me out. I only used caffeine when I was so exhausted that I knew water wouldn't cut it, and only before midnight. (If I had it after, I wouldn't sleep when I got home.) I had doctors ask me if I was diabetic when I would show up with my 4 cup mug filled with ice and water for a 12 hour shift, where I may not even get a break to refill with ice. (no ice in the unit because they don't let cardiac patients have ice) The irony they would have their 4 cups of coffee or 4 cups of tea before 10 am. :)

    As for gatorade/powerade, they do have their uses. I found if I suffered a bought of IBS at work, if I could have a powerade, even over water, I would feel better quickly. It would replace the minerals and nutrients I lost. I wouldn't drink it all the time, and it was amazing how just 8 oz would make me feel better in minutes. Then I could drink water again. I found if I drank plain water my symptoms would continue for awhile, this could stop it.

    Great post, and one I have been thinking about. One other tid bit, I think it is for every 20 pounds overweight you are, you need to add another 8 oz glass of water to the recommended level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks noe :) I'm happy to contribute.

    Wow really? 20 pounds another 8oz? You also have to factor in elevation to that. Unless your body ends up adjusting well to elevation. I know lately I'm drinking at least 48oz. of water, if not closer to 64oz. I have this water bottle that... Call me crazy, but makes me drink water better lol. Not sure if the flow is just right or if the flavor is better or what, but I can drink a whole thing in a few minutes and I want more. I measured it and the bottle is 16oz. So I figure 4 of those will set me up for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup that will set you up nicely. I need to drink more, but I try to grab a drink every time I'm in the kitchen. I'm tired of water bottles laying around. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too. That's why I use a reusable one.

    ReplyDelete