Saturday, June 9, 2012

Invictus

Here's my favorite Poem.  It's written by William Ernest Henley.  At an early age he lost his left leg due to tuberculosis in the bone.  I love this poem, it's really powerful.

INVICTUS
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as pitch from pole to pole.
I thank whatever Gods may be,
For my unconquerable soul.


In the fell clutch of circumstance,
I have neither winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance,
My head is bloody but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade.
And yet the menace of the years,
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.


It matters not how straight the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the master of my fate.
I am the captain of my soul.
--William Ernest Henley

Some people don't realize how difficult it can be for some people to get in shape.  They say, "Just diet and exercise."  What they don't understand is most people put their selfworth into nearly everything they do.  I don't always have the best self esteem.  So when my 2 year old wants to keep rough housing, and after 20 minutes I'm winded, it makes it worse.  Then from there I'm suddenly judging how good of a father I really am.  If I make a mistake at work I'm questioning my competence.  Then it only comes to self destruction when someone says those things outloud that you've been thinking yourself.  Don't believe them.  They are liars, phonies, fakes.  Don't believe those lies you were telling yourself.  They're only true when you believe them to be true.

I believe there's an unshakeable core inside of us.  Get out there and put it on display.  Be defiant, be spontaneous, be active, be healthy.

3 comments:

  1. That goes right along with a study I just read somewhere, I think I found it on the Lowcarber forum, where even after obese people loose weight and get to a normal size, they are still judged as being heavy by other people. It seems to be a problem more with women than men, but it is there. Kind of strange you think when the whole idea is to help us get in shape, but the stigma of "being lazy and over eating" is given. Your mom used to say she couldn't believe how little I actually ate most of the time. That doesn't mean I didn't binge because I can, but over all I really don't eat much. Obviously obesity is not a complete calorie thing otherwise I would be as thin as my former roommate Julie.

    Life is constantly about trying to feel good. I think we always want to say "if only this, then I will be happy". We just need to be happy how we are and go on from there. I have to say, kudos to you for playing with Tobi for 20 minutes, there aren't many dads who take the time. So good dad you are. I can already say my endurance is a bit better, my strength is better and my mood is better. You will notice the difference too. Do those pushups with tobi under you. Talk about making a kid giggle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all so true! Also I imagine there is trying to get an accurate picture of who you are so you can ignore the negative Nellie's (including the little self-devil on your shoulder helps).

    I remember telling my DH that his mom probably wasn't moving because she really didn't feel good and he would look at me funny, but then the other day he was now understanding that she really didn't feel good. True the sugary goodies weren't helping, but what I am coming to understand isn't that she, or me or anyone isn't fat because they are eating, they are eating because they are getting fat- a true and devastating metabolic disorder. So while did understand she didn't feel good what I now am learning about how we truly are animals that are driving a good portion of the time by metabolic processes, and what we are working on is improving and healing those processes.

    I was just thinking a few minutes ago down stairs how I was breathing well. I mean I didn't have big issues before but I just feel like my lungs are getting in more oxygen- and something that simple means changes- worked for and hard sought but there nevertheless.
    And Jordan you are a GREAT dad. That little boy adores you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jordan I've been watching you bust your bottom for the past couple of months trying to get in shape and you are doing AWESOME! It sets such a great example for Tobi and me. Don't let others get you down, especially those that you know enjoy doing so, you are doing so great and we love you so much!

    ReplyDelete