Thursday, July 5, 2012

5K run

The 5K came and went and in all of my excitement and training for it, I didn't make a post until now.  It's been a crazy few weeks.  Unfortunately, that put off some of my training and I think that's where I suffered.  I didn't actually hit any of my goals this time.  I didn't beat my old boss, or make it to the time I wanted.  But that's alright.  If we hit all of our goals all the time then what's the point of them?  That just means I need to push harder, and I have a whole year to be where I want to be.  The point of it all was that I did it, and I had fun doing it. 

For the first two miles, I actually was doing really well.  I kept checking my phone and I was about an 8:30-9min/mile average.  If I had sustained this pace, I would've beat my boss and my goals.  The third mile was the worst for me and was where I struggled.  Every time I tried to push myself, I just couldn't do more than 30 yards of running before I had to stop again.  Funny thing, I couldn't even slow my pace to a slower jog.  I had to either walk or nothing.

Here's the total stats for the run.

Total Distance: 3.14 Miles
Duration: 35:28 (I didn't stop the app for a minute after I got to the end.  I got a text from the organizers that said my time was 34 minutes for the 5K)
Avg. Speed: 5.31mph
Avg. Pace: 11:18 Min/Mile

So my average pace must've actually been in the high 10 minute mile average, which was where I wanted to be.  As I said, I didn't realize the app was continuing to run at the finish line. 

I ran with my friend Adam.  It was great to have him along.  He's been like a brother to me lately, so that was cool to have him come with.  He did much better, around an 8 minute mile average pace for him.  He finished at around 26 minutes.  Below is a picture of us after we finished the race.

The 5K is a great experience, and I want to do it every year.  Adam and I want to keep running and keep training ourselves to eventually run a half marathon.  I think that'll be it for me with running.  I'm not wanting to get too serious with running as I know a lot of runners who get damage in their legs and back and have a difficult time later in life.  If I do 1 half marathon a year and 1 5K a year I think I will be happy.  It will be a good excuse to keep exercising and training.  Now that the 4th of July season is done I can rest easy and get back to my regular schedule of exercise.  It will also help a lot if I can get back to Day shift.  I was so much better about consistency in my exercise when I was on days.

6 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you for doing this.

    Your goals are good, and this is a great thing for you and your family because a healthier Jordan is generally happier and of course that translates to better life with and for them.

    Good job on doing something I have never considered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you to do it. I have a friend that made a goal to run in 5 of them this summer. It is so good to see her do it because just a few years ago she was as heavy as me. I think the goal is huge to just decide to run in one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys supporting me means a great deal for me. I feel like lately I can literally count on one hand the number of people that actually cheer for me and one of them is a two year old :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes those cheers of a two year old can mean more than all the other people in the world. There is nothing like the love of a little one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And that two year old LOVES me lol. I couldn't sneak away for work last night and when I did Steph had him call me and he gave the saddest "work hard daddy" I have heard yet lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so proud of you Jordan for doing that race and I'm so glad you had such a great friend to run it with you! I think exercise goes so much better when you can have a "chubby buddy" to work through those goals with you. I'm excited to see how you improve in the next race!

    ReplyDelete