Friday, July 6, 2012

Zombies, Run!!

Confession!  I love zombies.  I have a hard time watching zombie flicks, with the gore and all.  But I love the idea, the zombie apocalypse.  As far as apocalypse fiction goes, I like the viral outbreak stuff the most.  They're terrifying scenarios and I admit, it scares the tar out of me.  Which is probably why I like it so much.  I feel that if you prepare for a zombie apocalypse, you'll be prepared for just about any end of the world scenario.  Yes, I know, zombies don't exist and never will.  But the way a zombie apocalypse plays out is exactly the same as a viral outbreak like a plague or devastating flu virus.  Which is why places like the CDC have a zombie apocalypse scenario.  But I digress...

I found this app on my Windows Phone marketplace.  I believe it was also on the iPhone (which would make it available for iPods too), though I can't confirm that. 

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/f772fc86-96dc-4093-b944-dde8fcd4e8f0

The app is called 'Zombies, Run!' and it's $7.99 which is like... $100,000,000 in app world money.  But, the concept is VERY cool and for $8 it seems like an investment.  The idea is that you run to your music, and occasionally this app will chime in and give you a sort of audio story as you go.  As you run you encounter zombies, supplies, people, etc... At the end of your run you'll return to your "base" and use the supplies and people you gathered to beef it up.  You play out this story in a quasi-augmented reality.  It won't use my camera to over-impose zombie images in real time, lol.  But, it will talk to me during my run. 

I think I'm going to give it a go.  It sounds like a lot of fun!  I just hope it also tracks my running stats.  If it does, it will completely replace my fitness activity app I us on my phone.

I also heard about a zombie 5K where you're running the 5K and it's sort of like a flag football race where people dressed as zombies will be around the course and will try to grab your flag.  I'm going to keep track of this 5K as it moves around the country.  As soon as it's within 1 state of here I think I'm going to take a trip :)

3 comments:

  1. It does sound like fun. Let us know how it works :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Noelie, let us know if it works. As a side note, I have women in my ward that believe in Zombies. It makes me roll my eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it would be so fun to take a trip and do the zombie 5k! Jordan has given me the zombie fever and I never thought zombies would be something I would someday love lol.

    ReplyDelete